Units Covered in 2nd Grade
Below are the Social Studies Units we will cover through out the year. The Colorado Department of Education standards (found here) help guide my instruction. You will also see the guiding questions I use to help me check for understanding and guide my instruction. I also change my teaching according to what my students need. If you have anything you'd like to share or extensions that would help, please e-mail me!
We learn all about our earth through a Flat Stanley project each year in 2nd grade. Over Winter Break the students take the Flat Stanley's they create with them on break and write about where they traveled. After break they then send their Flat Stanley's to friends and relatives and we track all the places they visit on a large map. Below you will find some resources incase your child lost or forgot their adventure journal. Your computer might not have the same fonts I wrote it in, so you may have to change things around so they look correct. Enjoy!
Questions we learn about:
- _How are goods made and brought to us?
- Who provides goods in a community?
- How can I be a good shopper?
- What is supply and demand?
- What jobs have to do with economics?
These are our essential questions for the unit:
- What are communities?
- How are communities different?
- How do we use maps?
- What is geography?
- How do communities change?
We talk and learn about the following questions:
- What is authority?
- How do leaders help their communities?
- What do good citizens do?
- What do communities share?